Alpbach in Motion
3-Day Summit of Emerging Leaders
You can’t make the economy of tomorrow work with the tools of the past. That’s why the European Forum Alpbach has launched a summit for the next generation business leaders to get together in a solution-focused dialogue around much-needed changes for the European economic system.
Connecting the next generation of decision-maker
Alpbach in Motion connects committed people from various business backgrounds – from start-ups, small and medium-sized enterprises, social enterprises and the creative industries- to impart knowledge of structural problems and to spark new ideas. As an incubator for new leadership, Alpbach in Motion aims to encourage its young leaders to bring change and new ways of acting into their industries and networks.
A combination of thematic input from internationally renowned speakers with managerial excellence is mixed with an innovative collaborative reflection concept. Alpbach in Motion dares to as “the big questions “. The group members bring new insights back into their fields of work and get exclusive offers for expert meetings throughout the year.
The group is led by a mentor who guides through 35 varied and unanticipated hours, supported by facilitators for group-work sessions. The working process can be enriched with inputs from experts offering personal and professional insights. Tomáš Sedlácek, Jeffrey Sachs, Charles Handy and Bernie Roth among others, have stimulated the minds of Alpbach in Motion so far.
The meaningful exchange between the experts and the group is a key ingredient for inspiration. Our high-level professionals dare listeners to enter discussions and/or rethink their current views.
The intellectually challenging work of the group is interspersed by pleasant hikes through the beautiful landscape of the Alps. The walks help to decelerate and invite participants to strengthen connections between each other. They also serve for spontaneous breakouts into group-work sessions along the trail.
Get inspired and watch the video from the Alpbach in Motion edition from 2016 with the philospher Charles Handy.
APPLY NOW UNTIL MARCH 31st, 2019
The NEXT SUMMIT OF EMERGINg LEADERS TAKES PLACE FROM August 25 – August 27, 2019.
Each year, the European Forum Alpbach invites its partner network of trusted businesses and organisations to nominate one or more candidates to apply for Alpbach in Motion. Additionally we ask members of the Alpbach in Motion network (all former participants of the programme) to recommend potential participants and reach out to the Forum Alpbach Nework. We are generally open to all applicants who meet the criteria below.
The benefits for participants
- work intensely on macro-economic topics
- meet experts on an eye-to-eye level
- network with engaged decision makers with international backgrounds and expertise from all scales of businesses (NPO, corporate, arts and entrepreneurs)
- interact with highly interesting people who are doers and get insights on other tactics and business approaches – experience controversy and mutuality
- be surprised by meaningful conversations and the potential of the peers
- get involved and start to shape and create change
- be inspired by the exceptional landscape
- benefit from free access to the Alpbach Economic Symposium
Who are we looking for?
- participants between the age of 30 and 40 years (Date of birth from 01.01.1979 – 31.12.1989)
- participants with potential for development and interested in interdisciplinary exchange and in challenges for Europe
- participants with several years of experience in the working field in mid and upper management level or who are self employed
- fluency in English is a must
What are the costs?
- there is a programme fee of € 1,900 incl. VAT
- the acceptance to the programme includes free access to the Alpbach Economic Symposium, catering and the room booking service
- we do not cover accommodation or travel expenses
We offer a limited number of barter deals for young leaders from cultural institutions or social service providers (NPOs) and start-ups to join the programme for free. Let us know in your cover letter why you qualify for a free participation and what you could offer in return (e.g. offer a workshop to staff members, help with a software, share knowledge…)
What documents do we need for the application process?
- cover letter, English, max 1 page
- CV, English or German, max 2 pages
- letter of recommendation by employer/recommender/former Aim participant, English or German, max 1 page
- all three documents must be sent in one PDF to email@example.com by March 31st, 2019
- only the combination of the three documents qualifies for the selection process
- applicants are chosen by a selection committee of former Alpbach in Motion participants
- all applicants are notified by April 20th, 2019
If you want to be on the mailing list for the next call for applications in February 2019 contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Insights from past editions:
- Impressions from 2018
- The Autrian newspaper “Die Presse” picked up the topic of the 2018 mentor, hon. Prof. Julia Hobsbawm, OBE, on the topic of social health and how we need to manage our knowledge, network and time. Presse article, in German
- Impressions from 2017
- The Austrian newspaper “Kurier” covered the 2017 edition, lead by the mentor Prof. Bernie Roth, author of “The Achievement Habit” and co- founder of the Stanford “the d.school” Kurier – article, in German
- Report & Pictures: Alpbach in Motion 2016
- Report & Pictures: Alpbach in Motion 2015
- “Graphic Portrait” of “Alpbach in Motion” 2015: AIM2015_lookbook
- “Graphic Portrait” of “Alpbach in Motion” 2014: AIM2014_lookbook
- The Austrian economic magazine TREND portrayed “Alpbach in Motion” 2013. Please find the report here.