Process and Documents
We endeavour to make our selection as objective as possible. An independent committee reviews all applications for content and completeness. The “four-eyes principle”, that all work should be checked by a second person, applies within the committee. Our aim is to promote diversity among scholarship recipients.
Applicants who have been granted a scholarship by the European Forum Alpbach Foundation will be informed in the second half of May 2017 via email. We kindly ask you not to contact us before this date to check the status of your application. Please ensure you provide an active email address in your application form at which you can be contacted. Do not use Hotmail or Outlook.com addresses, as these have often caused problems with delivery in the past. Please also check your spam folder regularly.
The Clubs and Initiative Groups award scholarships independently. Please follow instructions on their respective pages. You will receive details of their decisions from them directly.
Please include the following information in your online application and prepare your texts in a separate document in advance, as you will not be able to save your texts while filling in the application form.
1. Online application form
Please fill out all relevant data and make sure that you choose only those symposia, seminars and working groups which you really intend to attend and which will not take place at the same time. A well-considered choice of events reflects your knowledge of the programme.
2. Motivational statement (up to 3,000 characters)
The essential features to be included in the motivational statement are:
- A comment on your personal thoughts and ideas about the topics of the current programme: “Conflict and Cooperation”.
- Your perspectives on European integration as well as your view on the values and ideas of the European Forum Alpbach.
3. Curriculum Vitae
The curriculum vitae should display your education, practical experience and extra-curricular activities. Letters of recommendation are optional and limited to a maximum of 2.
4. Certificates and Transcripts
Please upload the following documents with your application: copies of your highest and latest obtained school or university certificates, as well as a transcript covering all credits obtained during the last (academic) year, or alternatively a confirmation of your last obtained school or work experience. If your transcripts/certificates are in a language other than German or English, please submit a translation. This translation does not need to be certified.
5. English Proficiency (non-native speakers only)
There are two ways to prove your language proficiency in English (minimum: European level B2 or academic IELTS 5.5, 6 or 6.5 for the Seminar Week and Symposia and European Level C1 for the Professional Programme Health Care). Any conclusive proof will be accepted (maximum of 2 uploads):
- Language certificates: We accept official language certificates (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL or equivalents) If your certificates are in a language other than English, you need to submit a translation. This translation does not need to be certified.
- If you are studying in an English-speaking country or programme, you do not have to submit a language certificate, but a confirmation that you are enrolled in an english-language programme.
6. Additional grants for accommodation and daily allowance (for sustenance)
A scholarship covers the participation fee for all events. Should you not have sufficient funds to cover the costs of your stay, you can apply for an additional grant providing accommodation and a daily allowance for food. Please indicate in your online application if you wish to be considered for this additional grant. If you can provide proof of financial support for your studies, you do not need to explain your financial situation in writing. However, please include relevant proof (e.g. confirmation that you are receiving the Austrian “Studienbeihilfe” or any other study grants). Travel costs cannot be refunded.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Late submission of missing documents will not be considered. Application deadline is on 31.03.2017 at 23:59 (Central European Time).